Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I enjoyed the short story "Covered Bridges" by Barbara Kingsolver. What i found most interesting was the role nature. Both main characters in the story were greatly affected by nature. I like how the husband revered and studied nature. I found it to be of some sort of significance that when he tried to interfere with nature by adding some sort of pesticide to his plants, he got some in his eye and had to call poison control, thus meeting his wife. later on in the story Lena gets stung by a bee and nearly dies. Both instances cause the two to grow close together. I think this story had something to say about how life has a natural order to things. they just happen and we ought to accept them.

The short story "The Woman Who Lost Her Names" by Nessa Rapoport was enjoyed a little less. I guess I didn't enjoy the because of the mediocre baseline to it. It seemed too much like ugly duckling gets to be more pretty, finds a husband and bears him children. It also seemed a little to anti-climatic for my liking. I didn't like how her dispute over naming the daughter ends with the husband saying "no" and then she submits and follows tradition hoping for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment