Monday, November 16, 2009

A night at the opera.

I would just like to start out by saying that this was my first opera. my thoughts and critique of it may seem a little shallow because of that. first and foremost i would like to say how much i liked the role of Serse played by joey. I was informed that he used a contra-tenor range which is about as close as it gets to castrati. it was quite amusing to hear such a lovely voice coming from such a big guy. i guess i really like the ideas of traditional gender roles being bent or broken. (usually a larger guy would be expected to sing in a very low voice.) another thing that got to me were the spanish translations. being a spanish major i found it to be a little distracting that there were very evident mistakes. and speaking of translations the italian to english translation of "love trophy" was quite.... funny.... the set was another thing that i caught myself admiring during the performance. it was a really well done set. i loved the mix of very traditional persian architecture and more modern upper-class decor.
Overall the opera was a very new and interesting experience. i will definitely attend some more and see if i can begin to get a better grasp on the finer things in the opera that surely flew right above my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment