Thursday, October 1, 2009

MUSIC IS NEAT


Last night i attended the orchestra concert at the U triple C. it had been ages since that last time i had been to an orchestra so i was very excited to be there. my roommate serena was gracious enough to attend with me. I enjoyed the performance thoroughly. from the first graceful lines of Mozart to the wasp-like buzzing of the strings, to the crash and boom of the cymbals and drum. i am always taken back by how powerful that classical music can be. Not only in a dynamic sense but also an internal emotional sense. for example, i really enjoyed the tension in Ralph Vaughn William's The Wasps. at times there was a very happy and energetic feeling, almost as if one would put music to the path that the insect might fly. naturally, the music became very intense as if describing a swarm of them, or even perhaps just evading a predator. My favorite thing about the show was definitely how accessible it was to really put yourself into the music and enjoy the ride.
there was one thing that stuck out to me that i really didn't enjoy that much. the snare drum. it seemed to me to be to demanding of attention, a little to harsh, or too "sore thumb." maybe it was the level of volume or maybe it was just me being picky that the beautiful strings and horns had to compete with an instrument so brash.
overall i thoroughly enjoyed my time and am very happy to have gone. thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment